Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chopper Ride!

Today, we flew on a helicopter to head to an island for tomorrow's memorial service.  We will be honoring two young men who gave the ultimate sacrifice last year.  It will be a remembrance memorial service.

I've never flown in a chopper before so I was pretty excited.  It makes number two on my list of cool transportation in the military, the first being a B-1 Bomber.  Yeah baby!  Anyway, so the chaps and I got to ride in the chopper for just about a half hour to forty-five minutes. 

The view was really cool.  It's not much different from an airplane but it was still so exciting!  We got to see little islands.  I have to say, the view was quite beautiful.

The camp is very small and very quiet.  I actually like it.  Not many people, laid back, and you're not surrounded by brass (meaning pretty shiny ranking officers).  Everyone here is mission-oriented.  Get the job done and relax.  Do your work.  But you can have a life too.  It's not as uptight as my camp.  You don't have to look over your shoulder to see who's watching. 

I won't talk about it much more than that, but I will say that my first few hours are pretty cool.  We'll have the memorial service in the morning.  Will talk about that tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment