Saturday, March 28, 2015

NCO Academy Grad!

I've spent the last 6 weeks in the Noncommisioned Officer Academy (NCOA). I admit that NCOA was not what I was expecting.  I thought it was going to be a cheesy, unrealistic let's-play-leader course. Instead, I've been studying ethical leadership, joint warfighting, professional development, negotiating, and many many more lessons!  I've given briefings on religious freedom and strategic initiatives. I've made friends.  I feel as if I've grown in just a month and a half. 

The days were jam packed with lessons, we were drinking from a fire hose. The nights were ridiculously late with homework. We had briefings and papers due each week. We slept 3-5 hrs a night. Weekends were blessings!!  I slept on the weekends. 

Caden had a dental issue during the week of my first test (gum swelling from slamming into another kid during rough playing). Instead of reviewing the night before the test, I was up all night helping him cope with pain. I failed that first test. That weekend, he got some antibiotics and I had my nose in my giant book for hours each day. I rocked the final test. I scored 10 pts above the average student. Thank you, God. 

Bruce was my audience during briefing practice. He'd stare at me in confusion as I gave him 3-5 minute briefings on religious freedom and strategic initiatives. If it wasn't for the wine, I'd have been laughing the whole time. 

My class graduated yesterday. It was a great day. My boss and two of my subordinates came to attend the ceremony. I was so proud! 

Now on to the next Air Force milestone: Korea. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment