Friday, December 17, 2010

Shopping for the Troops

Recently, I got a chance to do a big shopping trip for the troops that are deployed in my location.  Of course, we couldn't get individual gifts for everyone so we had the idea of putting together care packages for different offices and outstations.  The gifts I bought were basic quality of life stuff like hygiene items and snacks.  Simple things, I know, but we deployed folk are simple people with simple desires. 

Shopping took place in a big city far away from our camps.  It was nice to get away and breathe some fresh air, see some different sites and enjoy some really cool privileges.  My balcony had a great view overlooking the hotel pool and the sea!  In the morning, I got to see the ships in the distance.  Totally blessed to have been given such a great opportunity.

One thing about malls is that you'll always find some really interesting items for sale.  If you stop and look, you'd be amazed at some of the beautiful things you can find.  Of course, most of the time you'd probably get ripped off.  But still!  It's cool to just look at them... if you can manage to escape the sales rep. 

One sales person really tried hard to sell me a rock tied to a rope and said it was supposed to give me protection.  I kept telling her it was definitely a cool idea but that I wasn't interested and was just looking.  I really was just looking and simply wanted to check out the cool colored stones and interesting designs.  But she followed me around, so I thanked her and walked away.

I'm not much of a crowd person.  I totally tense up in malls, festivals and other environments that are filled with people and noises.  Don't know what's up with that, I just know I don't like it.  So it's quite a stressful thing for me.  When I'm home, I don't stay in Walmart any longer than I have to.  My grocery shopping is really mission-oriented.  Get the stuff on the list and get out.  So although getting to leave the camp and stay in a nice hotel was a real treat, I definitely had to work for it and I was certainly tired and ready to get back!

I was able to buy shampoos, lotions, body wash, and so many other hygiene products that are hard to get our hands on!
People actually thought I was working at the store as a stocker because my cart was filled with all these items!  I had people speak to me in their language, asking where they could find certain items.  I had workers look at me weird, probably wondering why they had never seen me working there before.   

I also bought coffee, tea, hot chocolate and a bunch of cookies and other snacks!!

Not sure what's up with the Gizmo picture?  Check out the Gizmo Project!

0 comments:

Post a Comment